Sunday, April 25, 2010

Early Bird "Special"

Our Sunday morning started at 6:30. Todd and I dropped Isaac with Nana and Aunty Stephy and headed out for a special, free breakfast at Salty’s on Alki. Why so early you might ask and such a fancy, spendy ($38 pp) place? Well, we had a gift card that would just cover the Early Bird special brunch, which was at 8:45. We definitely do not have room in our budget for an $80 breakfast!

The original plan was to bring Isaac . . .my logic being even though it’s a fancy restaurant, we’re not shelling out the cash so who cares if he misbehaves and we have to make it a quick meal. But, Aunty Steph insisted she watch him so we could fully enjoy and indulge in the All You Can Eat buffet.

Oh my goodness, the spread of food was AMAZING. Seafood bar, made to order omelets, hot doughnuts, fair scones, at least 15 different hot dishes, I could go on and on. We had a blast filling our plates many times.

After 2 wonderful, yummy, relaxing hours, it was time to head out. We got the bill--$63. I grabbed the gift card envelope from my purse, opened it, and I think threw up just a little bit. “$50 Dinner,” it read. Hmmm, that’s weird. “I’m sure it’s fine,” remarks Todd. The waiter comes. Todd explains we hadn’t looked at the card and would it cover the brunch. Waiter nicely says he would check. All that food in my stomach and the thought of having to pay for it brings on quite a stomach ache.

“Sorry, this is just for dinner,” the waiter explains. Okey dokey, kind of stuck at that point. As he leaves with our credit card, Todd looks at me and says, “Well, Happy Anniversary.” Three months early since it isn’t until July 24th! I follow that up with, “Happy Mother’s Day and Father’s Day.” Our brunch ended up costing $75. Holy ?!&@ who spends that much on breakfast?

It’s just money, right? And, we got to spend a very special morning just the two of us. I think that counts for a lot since our life is headed for mayhem in 9 weeks with Baby #2. So thankful for nana and aunty. Can't quite imagine rushing through with Isaac and then having to pay all that money.


Still, I am wishing I had smuggled out a few more pastries in my purse. :)




3 comments:

  1. Holy crapola! I can't believe that...at least you did have a good time-it would have been too much to swallow to have been rushed, not eaten your fill and then had to foot the bill!

    You guys look so cute!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH man! That would be frustrating, at least it was good food. Imagine if it was bad, then how mad would you be?! We had something happen at Salty's with a gift cert too. Can't remember the details but I remember it was so specific and didn't work like we thought and we were a bit miffed too. Oh well, like you said- just money right:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pictures! So crazy how it all went down. I am so glad that Mom and I had the little guy though! Thanks for sharing the goodies with us, too!

    ReplyDelete