We had a "great" time camping on the Kitsap Peninsula with my family this past weekend. Yes, great is in quotes because I'm not so sure that is the right word for the experience. I could write a long list of the discomforts and frustrations that seemed to abound on our little adventure. I thought camping at 6 months pregnant with two little kids would be okay since we had a trailer--ya, not so much.
As we drove home exhausted, dirty, and crabby Isaac sobbed "I want to go back to camp." I thought to myself, what the heck is wrong with you, why would you want to do that again? It hit me...the whole weekend had really been for him and Ruby. And, really most of the joy and fun I got out of it was watching them have the time of their life. They played with their cousins, explored the beach, were fed, slept soundly, got M&M's for breakfast thanks to nana! Some day when they are older, things will be easier and Todd and I will get to relax around the campfire (instead of lunging every time a child goes near it) and actually get some sleep. For now, making memories for our family is often a lot of work but so totally worth it. It makes me appreciate all the effort my parents put into doing fun and special things for us growing up.
One very special part of the weekend was that we camped at the park Todd and I were married at 7 years ago today. It was pretty sweet to stand in the same spot where we said "I do" and now to have our two kids running around and one kickin' in my belly. Todd's patience and selflessness was my only sanity over the weekend, and for the last 7 years for that matter! As life continues to get busier and crazier, I am incredibly grateful that God chose this amazing man for me walk through it all with.
 |
| They found SO many crabs! |
 |
| The "I do" spot. This was taken on the cheap camera so you can't see the beautiful view of the water behind us. |
 |
| Point No Point Lighthouse |
 |
| This was after the first normal picture was taken. We discovered my dad was flashing his belly while Todd snapped away. My mom is trying to cover him back up! Gotta love a silly Papa. |
 |
| Poulsbo Marina |
 |
| Having fun at the Poulsbo Aquarium |
"great" is definitely the word for it but as the days pass since getting home, just like most things in life worth doing, only the good memories abound :) You got a bunch of great pics! We will just have to keep at it and one day you are right, we'll just chill by a fire while kids find adventure around us!
ReplyDeleteand p.s. you married so well, could not ask for a better brother in law, so thankful Todd is a part of our (crazy) family!
ReplyDeleteWe saw the addition to the blog last night-- the pictures reminds us of the days we went camping with 5 little kids; oh what an adventure it can be. Great pictures of the camping trip -- HAPPY ANNIVERSARY.
ReplyDeleteMom and Dad J.