Friday, December 31, 2010

A Tale of 2 Christmases











Christmas for us this year came in stages and was a unique blend of joy and sadness. The first celebration was with all of Todd's family in Idaho on the 25th, then the plan was to have Christmas with my family on the 29th while great grandpa and grandma were still here from Virginia.

Our time with Todd's family was wonderful and special. It was the first time all his siblings had been together with his parents for Christmas in 15 years! With 10 grandkids and 11 adults it was a busy, fun-filled time. Isaac and Ruby were loved on and played with for 4 days straight.

Grandpa and grandma did so much to make it memorable for everyone. Not part of the plan however, was Isaac yelling out during the Christmas Eve service, "I no like it. I no like Jesus." This was just as the pastor was at the quiet, thoughtful end of his message. I "whispered sweetly" in Isaac's ear, "yes we do love Jesus very much. Remember the Christmas story we've been reading and talking about for the last month?!" My sister-in-law and I joked that everyone around was probably calling us "one timers." Todd says Isaac redeemed himself later when he started yelling out, "and Joseph, and the sheep."

Another highlight was the re-enactment of the Nativity Scene by all the grandkids. Ruby starred as Baby Jesus for her second time. We are so thankful for the wonderful memories that were made. As we drove away Monday morning, Isaac sobbed that he wanted to go back to grandma and grandpa's. The drive home brings us to the next stage of Christmas...

I had gotten a call Sunday night (while still in Idaho) that great grandma was in the ER after having a stroke. She was stable, and we would go see her when we got home Monday night. As we were driving through Spokane, my mom called and said something had changed and grandma was almost gone. I knew diaper changes, kids needing to eat, traffic, etc. was all out of my control and without stops we still had 4.5 hours to go. I quickly texted a few friends and asked them to pray we would make it so I could say good-bye to grandma.

It seemed every town and landmark we passed, was accompanied by a text from a sister or my dad saying, "she's almost gone. barely hanging on." Moses Lake, Ellensburg, Snoqualmie Pass......I just kept holding me breath. Somehow, we made it to Evergreen hospital in 4.5 hours without stopping once!

I rushed up to grandma's critical care room. She was still somewhat conscious and able to open her eyes. Good-byes were whispered as I held her hand. My mom decided to sneak Ruby into the room even though kids weren't allowed. Grandma's eyes lit up, and she tried to smile when she saw Ruby's face. These are the last pictures with her eyes open. We all left that night thinking grandma would be gone the next day, but little did we know there would be many more precious memories made at grandma's bedside.

This week, my sisters, mom, dad, grandpa and I have spent many hours sending grandma off to be with Jesus--holding her hand, sharing memories, singing her hymns. Late the other night, I opened my Christmas gift from her while sitting in her hospital room. It was a beautiful sapphire and diamond ring of her's that she had chosen for me to have to match my blue eyes. Blue eyed Ruby will have it one day.

Wednesday night we still had our Christmas dinner, but it wasn't much of a celebration without grandma there. Then, yesterday morning while just my mom sat by her bed, grandma's breathing slowed down. She took a few more breaths and headed into eternity where I'm certain she heard the words, "Well Done. Welcome Home." Grandma loved many and spent her life helping others. I will never forget holding grandpa's hand as he walked away from his bride of 63 years for the last time.

This will no doubt be a Christmas to remember. My sister and I were talking yesterday about how joyful and sad events seem to often come at the same time. Her husband posted something similar on facebook, but followed this up by saying, "and through it all there is Jesus." My first response was to think how over-simplified and cliche that was. But, then it occurred to me--if that's not true then what the heck do you believe? Where do you find comfort and purpose amidst all the ups and downs of this world?

Today I am resting in the peace that comes from trusting in a constant, good and loving Heavenly Father. One who rejoices with us and one who holds us in His hands through the pain and sadness. Whatever this holiday season and New Year holds for you, I pray that your heart will know this kind of peace as well.


5 comments:

  1. This made us both cry...indeed, we were given an amazing gift. Such a bittersweet and beautiful time together, so glad to get to do it with one another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im so sorry to hear about your grandma..i cant begin to imagine the pain your hearts feel right now. I was wiping the tears seeign all the memories you all made while she was here this trip, and what a special thing for her to meet Ruby....my hurt hurts for you all

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful well told story Danielle. It was so good to see you all at Christmas and though I wish it could have lasted longer, I am glad you made it home in time to spend those last days with your grandma. The memories you have are a wonderful gift to look back on and cherish when you think of your time together with grandma and all of your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an awesome daughter and friend. Thanks for putting into words and pictures what I haven't had time to fully process. We have been blessed with so many rich memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't imagine walking through this without my awesome family. Your love and care has touched me deeply. Thanks for being a Jesus centered family and loving so well. Love you.

    ReplyDelete