Tuesday, June 30, 2015

A walk to Mgwayi


We walked into the village of Mgwayi yesterday.  It is near the COTN base, about a 5 minute walk.  COTN has many sponsor children in this village, as well as an elementary school that is K-5th.  The school is called Big John's.  As we walked, many different smells wafted through the air.  Lots of women walking around with babies in wraps on their backs.  At one point Luke declared, "I smell poop mommy."  Luckily only I heard him!  In one area we passed, men were standing in huge dug up trenches trying to access water from an underground well.  The kids didn't seem too fazed by all the new sights.  Mostly Ruby and Luke just got tired and wanted to be carried.

At the school, we met Esther who is kind of like the principal for all the COTN nursery schools as well as Big John's.  She is very warm and wonderful to be around.  We went to each class and were introduced so the students could learn our names.  Isaac and Luke called out their own names, but we had to say Ruby's.  No surprise there!

It was really great to get off the base and into a village.  I (we) have been feeling kind of isolated and anxious to get out and be with the people and children.   I know more of this will come.  Logistics with three young kids and transportation are challenging, so I need to be patient and flexible.
I have many more pictures of our time in Mgwayi that I'll work on posting this week. This afternoon we are headed to Chitipi, a village about 15 minutes away.  COTN has a children's home there.


2 comments:

  1. Wonderful you got to get out and see some people and places. Bummer it takes so long to load pics, thank you for posting one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you could get out into a village. I can almost picture you walking there with all the sights and sounds.

    ReplyDelete