We talk often of the impact we are having here in Malawi. Was it necessary for us to fly across the world, are we really making any kind of lasting difference, are we affecting others for God's kingdom? I am constantly having to surrender my desire to see with my human eyes whether or not what we're doing is meaningful. I think my need for affirmation & appreciation plays a big role, but nothing I do should be for the praise of man. Each and every opportunity to walk in obedience and say yes to what God puts in front of me here is all for His glory. He will take it, multiply it and use it for his purposes.
Our kids are working on memorizing catechisms and number four is, "How can you show glory to God?" Answer..."By loving Him and doing what He commands." Simple yet profound truth that I need to be reminded of daily. God is most glorified when I am loving him and obeying him. There's no gifts or talents I can offer that will bless and please him more than my surrendered heart.
One opportunity I have said yes to was teaching a leadership training for twenty of the ICA (International Christian Academy) student leaders. This is certainly not a topic I feel strong in, nor anything I am especially passionate about. Also, high school age kids are really not my thing. Give me some seven year olds, and I can run with that. :-)
I spent several days going through five sessions on, "Becoming a Servant Leader." We looked at examples in scripture to build an understanding of the kind of leader Jesus was when he was on earth. We compared this to how those in our world lead and talked about how we as Christian leaders can walk differently. One interesting conversation was during the session on, "Challenge the Process." A Malawian girl shared that as a leader, she'd like to speak up and challenge the norm in their culture for girls to marry by age fifteen. Many of them want to challenge the attitude about education and the role of women in their country.
After the first couple sessions, I wasn't sure if anyone was getting much out of the classes. We had run out of weekday times since the students were set to leave for their break. I told them I didn't think it'd work to finish the last two sessions, and they quickly spoke up and said, "We'll come during our time off on Sunday. We want to do all the sessions."
As it turned out, I completed the last two classes with just the girls. It was a very sweet time that God totally anointed. They were more open then they'd been in the bigger group. We were able to talk about how they can disciple and build up leaders among the younger girls in the dorms this coming fall. I shared about the impact of encouraging one another and caring about the heart status of those in our sphere of influence. Once I finished, the girls just sat there...and sat and sat like they didn't want to leave. So, I talked a bit with them about how prayer plays a huge role in some of these leadership principles. Then, they walked me back up to the duplex like they still weren't quite ready to say good-bye. Ahh, so totally blessed my heart when I'd been so unsure if what I'd taught had been meaningful to them!
For me, this was yet another confirmation of what God is telling me about how our family can make an impact for his Kingdom--say yes to what He asks of us and let him show up, change hearts and bring about change.
Once again, thank you to each one of you that has covered us in prayer and encouragement.
One of my favorite songs, "Audience of One" comes to mind as I reflect on our purpose here...
So what could I bringTo honor your majesty
What song could I sing
That would move the heart of royalty
And all that I have
Is this life that you've given me
So Lord let me live for you
My song with humility
And Lord as the love song
Of my life is played
I have one desire
To bring glory to your name
To my audience of one
You are Father, and you are Son
As your spirit flows free,
Let it find within me
A heart that beats to praise you.
And now just to know you more
Has become my great reward
To see your kingdom come
And your will be done
I only desire to be yours,
Lord
What song could I sing
That would move the heart of royalty
And all that I have
Is this life that you've given me
So Lord let me live for you
My song with humility
And Lord as the love song
Of my life is played
I have one desire
To bring glory to your name
To my audience of one
You are Father, and you are Son
As your spirit flows free,
Let it find within me
A heart that beats to praise you.
And now just to know you more
Has become my great reward
To see your kingdom come
And your will be done
I only desire to be yours,
Lord
Bible study time on the leadership principle "Model the Way."
The Marshmallow Challenge to help illustrate how leaders and teams "Inspire a Shared Vision."
The winners of the challenge! Their prize was American candy--they all wanted the skittles after I told them about Marshawn Lynch and the Seahawks. :-)
So cool to see how God continues to use your whole family!
ReplyDeleteWe are so very blessed to have you in our family Danielle. Keep up the work of our Lord..
ReplyDeleteI know som of those kids! Of course they were much younger when I was there! So fun that some of these same girls who you're getting to teach leadership to, I also got to work and play with 10 years ago! :) I am loving reading your updates and hope that I can meet up with you sometime after you return and see your pics and hear more stories! :) Blessings to you guys!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteGreat thoughts - in some ways it seems harder to apply that obedience in the ordinary days of living life. Love to see you use the same marshmallow challenge Dad uses in India. Love you all! Mom
ReplyDelete